NYCGHA Rec League
Rec League games are played at Chelsea Piers every Sunday at 4pm and 5:30pm with the exception of certain holidays and other scheduled bye weeks. The NYCGHA Rec League differs from the Sky Rink Adult Open League in several ways. All teams are evenly assigned approximately the same number of novice and intermediate players. This league is a great way for intermediate players to fine tune their skills, get some exercise, and help novice players learn the game. Novices will feel comfortable playing in this league because of its low pressure atmosphere and the added benefit of playing with and learning from more experienced players.
If you are interested in participating, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a history of your playing background and what you would like to accomplish by joining the league.
If you are unable to join full-time this season, we have an option for you to play drop-in as an alternate skater. Please follow the steps below to become an alternate skater in the NYCGHA Rec League:
- Read the Policies for Rec League Alternates.
- Complete the Self-Evaluation Form.
- Wait for an invitation to join TeamCowboy. Usually, we will get back to you within a few days. This website is where you will be able to access the full schedule and RSVP for games. Note that your application to join Rec League will be reviewed by the NYC Gay Hockey Association to ensure that you are a good fit for the league based on your answers to the Self-Evaluation Form. If you are not, someone will get back to you to discuss why, and to point you to alternatives, possibly on other NYC Gay Hockey Association teams.
- Once you have been approved in step 3, then if you are not already a member of the NYC Gay Hockey Association, please register here. Note that dues are non-refundable.
- Purchase one or more pre-paid alternate spots here. Note that if you do not use your pre-paid spots this season, they will automatically carry over to following seasons. Also note that if you do not have pre-purchased spots available, you will not be receive reminders of upcoming games, and you will not be able to RSVP as an alternate.
- Teams will consist of sixteen full-time skaters.
- Goalies will be assigned to each game and will switch half-way through the second period.
- Each season will consist of a minimum of 16 games.
- Full-Time Skater: $630
- Full time players are guaranteed a spot in every Rec League game as long as the RSVP by Thursday at Noon before a Sunday game. If a full-time player does not RSVP by this deadline, he/she is not guaranteed a spot in the game.
- Alternate: $40 (prepaid 3-game package), $45 (prepaid 1-game package). In order to be eligible to RSVP, you must:
- Goalies: No cost. Please contact us if you are interested.
- There will be no refunds for missed games.
- If a player is injured, and the injury prevents him from playing the rest of the season, she must notify her captain as soon as possible. A refund of half the value of the remaining games will be credited to the injured player’s account based on the number of remaining games from the point of notification to the end of the season.
- Any player receiving a misconduct or game misconduct will automatically be suspended for one game with no refund for the missed game.
- Any player receiving a second misconduct or game misconduct in a season will be automatically suspended for three games with no refund for the missed games.
- Any player receiving a third misconduct or game misconduct in a season will be automatically suspended for the balance of the season with no refunds for missed games.
- All games take place at Sky Rink (West Rink) at Chelsea Piers, Pier 61, 2nd Floor. Pier 61 is at 23rd Street over the Hudson River.
Recreational League Feedback Form
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the game format?
In a shootout, the captain must pre-select his/her first three shooters who will wait on the ice for their turn to shoot. All other players including the captain must remain on the bench. No player may shoot twice until all players have shot at least once.
How do the playoffs work?
- Teams shall be awarded two points for a win, one point for an overtime loss or tie, and no points for a loss.
- Playoff seeds shall be based on final standings, with the following tiebreakers:
- Total Wins
- Goals Against
- Coin Toss
- There will be two playoff rounds:
- 4th place at 1st place, and 3rd place at 2nd place.
- Championship. Higher seed is home team.
What are the game rules?
- Icing will be called when a player shoots the puck across both blue lines and the opposing team’s goal line, and the puck remains untouched. Any pucks shot from outside a team’s own defensive zone will not be considered icing.
- No changes are allowed on icing.
- Faceoffs may only occur on the nine faceoff dots.
- When stop-time is in effect, an eight goal differential will result in running time.
- Faceoffs stay in the zone if the puck goes out of play directly off the net.
- No single player can score more than three goals in any single game, including overtime and shootouts.
- Any goal scored violating this rule shall be disallowed, and a faceoff shall occur at center ice.
Who is eligible to play?
In order to maintain a friendly and safe environment, the NYCGHA Rec League Organizing Commission has the right to remove a player from Rec League if they are considered to not meet our eligibility criteria and/or do not comply with the policies of the league. In this case, a pro-rated refund will be provided.
How do I get into a Rec game one week if I'm not on the team?
What's the deal with jerseys?
- Jerseys provided are the property of the NYCGHA and must be returned at the end of each season in usable and clean condition. You have the option to purchase jerseys at $50 each.
- Each team will have its own jersey with team logo and color.
- All full-time Rec League players must wear their assigned Rec League jersey
- You will be assigned a jersey number. Please do not request a specific number. All numbers are assigned based on the next available number.
Rec League – Summer 2019 – Standings
|5||So Humongous Bigs||0||2||1||1||10||17||0-2-1||L2|